Have you always dreamed of achieving the best bite and the best smile? Make your dream of the perfect bite and smile a reality with adult braces. Braces have three major benefits: spacing out crowded teeth, straightening teeth, and closing the gaps between teeth.
Getting braces is a little more complicated than your regular dental check-up. An orthodontic care specialist will have to decide on what best suits your particular needs. Here is what you need to know before choosing to wear braces.
1. Your Options
Our orthodontist will determine whether you need braces and the appliances you will require. There are new technologies such as Invisalign® that may be available for you.
2. How Long You Will Need to Wear the Braces
As an adult, you do not have the benefit of growing teeth. You will need braces for a much longer time, usually between 18 months to 3 years since your teeth shift slowly. You may also need a retainer after having your braces removed to maintain your teeth in the ideal position after treatment.
3. Caring for the Braces
You should brush your teeth with a soft brush using an up and down movement and make sure to clean away from the gums. When flossing, ensure that you do not apply too much force on the archwire. You should frequently visit our orthodontist throughout the treatment for adjustment of the appliances. If you are progressing properly, you should schedule a visit every eight weeks. We can give you advice how best to floss and brush to ensure success in your treatment.
4. Types of Braces
There are four types of adult braces we offer:
• Mini-diamond: These are more common and have metal brackets supported by wires. Modern ones have smaller metal brackets and are less noticeable.
• Clear braces: These are similar to metal braces but the brackets themselves are clear, making them even less noticeable than metal braces.
• SmartClip braces: These are self-litigating, which means the wires can slide back and forth in the brackets. That means these are more comfortable because there is less friction involved.
• Invisalign®: This consists of a series of aligners, usually between 18 and 30, that are made of clear plastic and are removed and replaced every two weeks.
The team at Brodie Bowman Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics will help you choose treatment options that suit your needs and lifestyle. We will recommend adult braces that you will wear for the shortest time, with minimal discomfort, and reduce the number of visits to the orthodontist. We have offices located in Fort Walton Beach and Niceville, FL. Contact us today to schedule your orthodontist consultation!