Do you want to align or straighten your teeth but are not sure which dental treatment option is right for you? In our opinion, both Invisalign® and dental braces can give you the best results. However, it’s important to understand the pros and cons of each option to help you make an informed decision.
Dental braces are custom-made devices that are fixed inside the mouth to align and straighten crowded and misaligned teeth. Proper alignment of your teeth using dental braces improves not only the appearance of your teeth but also your overall dental health. Some of the benefits of dental braces include:
• Work quickly to resolve crowded or misaligned teeth
• Straightened teeth allow people to bite, chew or speak without any problems
• Dental braces are effective in almost all dental cases
• Dental braces are better for complex cases such as aligning severely crooked teeth or closing severely gapped teeth.
The drawbacks of wearing dental braces:
• You must avoid certain foods to prevent the braces from breaking
• You need to take your time when brushing your teeth.
Invisalign®, also known as clear aligners, are transparent removable orthodontic devices that shift your teeth into position. These custom-made aligners are worn for at least 22 hours a day and changed at least once a week. Some of the benefits of Invisalign® include:
• They are clear, so most people will not notice them
• You can remove them to eat, drink or brush your teeth
• They are comfortable and convenient to wear
• Reduce the risk of tooth decay and gum disease.
The drawbacks of wearing Invisalign®:
• You must brush your teeth immediately before and after wearing clear aligners
• Invisalign® aligners can be stained by coffee, tea, and other drinks
• They are only useful for a few orthodontic cases such as straightening maligned teeth or crowded teeth.
In a nutshell, Invisalign® is extremely useful for simple dental issues and aesthetic purposes. Dental braces, on the other hand, are highly effective and efficient for fixing complex orthodontic problems such as aligning severely crooked, crowded and maligned teeth and closing bigger gaps.
Do You Still Have Questions?
At Dr. Bowman DDS, we want to make the process of aligning teeth or closing gaps stress-free. If you are considering Invisalign® or dental braces but want to get more information about these two treatment options, feel free to speak with our professionals at our offices in Fort Walton Beach and Niceville, FL. We believe that it’s our job to help you develop the best dental treatment plan for you. Contact us today to schedule your consultation!